Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at the University of Minnesota is a vital community of older adults who are brought together by their intellectual curiosity and love of learning. An affiliated program of the university's College of Continuing Education, OLLI offers a wide range of volunteer-led courses and activities. "A health club for the mind" is the OLLI motto, and the organization's enthusiastic members make full use of their club's many programs.
Founded in 1995 as the Elder Learning Institute, OLLI at the U of M joined the national network of lifelong-learning institutes supported by the Bernard Osher Foundation in 2004. Today the organization has more than 1200 dues-paying members and offers around 300 stimulating courses each year. The volunteer course leaders are experts in their fields and eager to share their knowledge with others. There are no tests and no grades—just the excitement of learning and discussing something new.
OLLI also offers a wide range of programs outside the classroom. Members can choose from more than 30 Special Interest Groups centered on activities ranging from knitting and play reading to kayaking and discussing articles in Scientific American. Travel programs related to OLLI courses provide another opportunity to make new friends and share interests. Recent trips have taken OLLI members to Brazil, Portugal, and Spain, where eating new and delicious cuisine was an important part of the learning experience.
If you are interested in sharing knowledge and friendship with a community of like-minded people, take a look at what OLLI has to offer. It might be just the right club for you!
- Spring | Registration opens: Mar. 10, 9 a.m. Courses run Mar. 23 - May 15
- Summer | Registration opens: May 19, 9 a.m. Courses run Jun. 1 - Jun. 26
- Fall | Registration opens: Sept. 1, 9 a.m. Courses run Sept. 21 - Nov. 13
- Winter | Registration opens: Jan. 5, 9 a.m. Courses run Jan. 25 - Mar. 4
- Spring | Registration opens: Mar. 8, 9 a.m. Courses run Mar. 28 - May 13
- Summer | Registration opens: May 17, 9 a.m. Courses run Jun. 6 - Jun. 30